When you set out to hire a roofer you’re bound to have plenty of questions. This is natural, and it’s important to ask the right questions. Knowing the price and expected timeline are helpful bits of information, but there’s a few other things you need to know before you hire a roofer.
- Are you licensed? This should be your first question, because if they say no you should never hire them. Every roofer needs to be properly licensed in the state they are working in. A licensed roofer should be able to provide you with a license number. To find out if a roofer is licensed in Oklahoma, call (918) 393-4682
- Are you insured? Every roofer needs to have general liability insurance to protect homeowners from accidents and damages. If an uninsured roofer accidentally demolishes your house you might be stuck with some or all of the bill.
- Will you take off my old roof? When a new roof goes on, the old roof needs to come off. Don’t let a roofer trick you by telling you it’s okay to just build the new roof on top of the existing one. Every old roof needs to taken all the way down to the decking to ensure the new roof will function properly.
- What happens if it rains? In Oklahoma rain can come out of nowhere. If it starts raining while your roof is half finished your roofer needs to have a plan of action ready to go. In most cases a few tarps and some plastic sheeting will do the trick, but they need to go up quickly and hold up during the high winds of storm.
- Are you local? Not to paint with a board brush, but almost every out of town roofer is just looking to make a quick buck. It is strongly advised that you hire a roofer who has an office in your state. This keeps them honest and if the roof starts leaking two months after the job is done, you know where to find them.
These are just a few questions you need ask before you hire a roofer. Don’t ever feel bad about asking your roofer questions. As a local Tulsa roofer, we love to answer questions from our customers. We welcome your questions, comments and concerns.